Author Rosemary Lehman joins me today to talk about her book Motivating and Retaining Online Students
As you can see in my video, there are a lot of stickies on my copy of her book! It was a genuine thrill to speak with her today and being able to ask her questions deepened my understanding of her strategies and gave me lots of new ideas to go forward. Here are some of them:
- make your technology experiences sensory….what senses can we heighten with the technology experiences we provide our students in online and blended classrooms?
- allow for as much interaction and varied types of interaction as possible
- provide a reliable structure to experiment/play within
- fill your course with discovery…this is key for school-aged children but for all students as well
- use electronic office hours to build relationships; evaluate the participation in electronic office hours as an extrinsic motivator to connect with all students in a virtual face-to-face way
- MORE visuals! All sorts!
Here is a link to the livestream video.
She also shared some slides with us which you can find here: